leaderboard

Saturday, April 14, 2012

HTH: Sharing My Breastfeeding Story



As parents, we always want to give the best for our kids or babies. When I was pregnant with my eldest, a lot of my friends were breastfeeding their babies and they made it sound so easy.  I also attended breastfeeding class ( to be ready). However, when i gave birth, I realized that it was not easy at all, since it is a learning process for both mom and the baby.  But once both of you mastered it, it will be smooth and easy.

I was able to breastfeed my eldest child for 2 years and 6 months while my second child, I was able to breastfeed him for 3 years and 3 months.

With my eldest child, I did have a hard time breastfeeding her because I can't seem to have her latch properly (this is because the hospital gave her bottle first and she is experiencing nipple confusion). But after 3-5 days of perseverance & patience, and with encouragement from Hubby, I was able to breastfeed her successfully. 

With my second child, breastfeeding was easy, maybe because its the second time around and I know what I'm doing. Another thing that help was the hospital used cup feeding for newborn instead of bottle. So when they gave me my child for breastfeeding, he latched naturally without any nipple confusion.

Things that have helped me in breasfeeding:

1. Double Electric Breastpump
- I used the Pigeon double electric breastpump. I was able to used this for both of my kids. For my eldest, I bring my breastpump to the office and pumped 2-3 times during the 8-5 office hour. I also brought a cooler with ice pack so that I can transport my express milk back home. 

2. Breastpad 
- I used the Pigeon Disposable Breastpad.They are very absorbent (based from experience) and individually wrap.

3. Nursing Bra, Nursing Shirt and Nursing Cover
- Finding a good nursing bra was very difficult during my breastfeeding days with my eldest. But its a different story on my second baby, I was able to find good nursing bra online and in Mothercare store. 
- I was also able to buy nursing shirt and nursing cover in the internet ---- very useful when nurisng in public.

4. A pedia that is pro-breastfeeding.

5. Correct position and proper latch are the keys to successful breastfeeding.
- It should be tummy to tummy position. Baby should get the nipple and areola, whole jaw moving and gulping action is seen. The latch shoould feel comfortable to the mother, it should not hurt.

6. A supportive husband who encourages me on the whole breastfeeding process. 

For first time mom, my advised is to take it one day at time and be patience.

Website that I find useful:
http://kellymom.com
http://www.breastfeeding.com
http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/breastfeeding
http://www.womenshealth.gov/breastfeeding/pumping-and-milk-storage/




No comments:

Post a Comment